Our son needs your prayers and he needs God’s healing. He has been in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for 12 days now and is creating quite the intrigue. Not a Curious George-type of intrigue but an upper-level-college-course-study-group-which-can’t-seem-to-solve-the-group project kind of intrigue. It seems that the doctors can’t exactly figure out why his lungs are not developing better and why they persist in a constant state of migrating collapse. (One lung collapses one day only to be fine the next. Then the other lung collapses. Add numerous permutations for each day. Cook for several days and watch parents’ emotions go haywire.)
After about five minutes in the NICU tonight, I told Dana, “You just never seem to know what you are going to get when you walk in here.” That line pretty much sums up the last three weeks of our lives.
We will try to fill you in on more details in the coming days, for now please be praying for these things:
1. Lung Development. Some of his lung problems are simply due to his prematurity. He was delivered at 31 weeks and 6 days. He is now 33 weeks and 4 days. Hopefully his rib cage, muscles, and neural connections will start figuring out this whole breathing thing and he will take off from there. Until then, though it is flattering that he is such a source of intellectual stimulation for the medical staff, I don’t really care for my son to be too interesting right now. Boring and normal would do just fine!
On Sunday night he had the best blood gas levels (Oxygen, CO2, etc.) in several days. Bascially, if he can’t breathe well or if he is fighting the oscillator (heavy duty ventilator), then the carbon dioxide will not be expelled from his lungs. High CO2 means toxicity, not global warming. Sorry, I meant climate change. Oh wait, it is snowing in Texas. Warming?! What? Oh, sorry, I got off subject. My apologies, I was simply reminded that the world needs more CO2 for my son to live. Someone please tell the “smart people” about my new discovery; it’s probably Nobel Peace Prize worthy.
2. Genetic Screening. On Monday a blood sample will be sent to a lab for genetic screening for any disorders. Currently, none appear to exist. The doctors are mainly doing this to “rule things out.” Not exactly a comforting phrase, as you can imagine, but sometimes that’s how the practice of medicine goes. The results will be back in anywhere from 5-10 days. You should be able to figure this one out on your own; but for the slow ones out there, please be praying for no disorders, etc. Couldn’t resist.
3. What Looks Good? So far his heart looks good, he is back on feedings of breastmilk (through a tube), and brain scans look good. I am sure I have forgotten something.
If you are family or friends and want to share more details about Will’s condition in the comments section, please feel free to do so.
The doctors and nurses taking care of him love his spirit and have positive comments just about every time we talk with them so we are encouraged by that. We greatly appreciate all of their efforts. Many of them are believers as well.
Psalm 27 encouraged me a few days ago. Not all of it relates to William's circumstances, but it's a pretty apt verse for right now.
The Lord is my light and my salvation;That’ll preach!
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
I have a new appreciation for parents who have, or have had, children who struggle with sickness, etc. This has to be one of the most helpless feelings in the world.
God is good and sustains us each day. We love our families and we love the church. We thank Christ for holding us together and making us His bride. We pray that William’s circumstances bring glory to our Father, the almighty God, and maker of all things new!
We are praying for you guys and for precious baby William. Let us know if there is anything you need!
ReplyDeleteLove, The Gibsons. :)
Prayed for you guys this morning and thinking of you often. I can't wait for little Ben and Will to hang out when he gets home! Let us know if you need anything!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting all this so we can stay updated. Saying lots of prayers for Will and thinking of you all daily.
ReplyDeleteWill, I'm praying for you right now. I know you're mommy from college. You are so blessed to have a mommy and daddy who are lifting you up in prayer to the Lord and know that He is your (and their) Sustainer. Hang in there,little guy.
ReplyDeleteWill, I have known your mommy since elementary school. I cannot see a slice of Red Velvet cake, your mommy's favorite birthday cake from childhood, or hear Fozzie Bear talking on TV, you mom does a great Waca Waca Waca, without thinking of her. She was and is a spirited person with a zest for life and The Lord. She will hands down be the most fun mom on the block. I have been praying for you ever since she announced your early arrival on Facebook. You are one blessed little guy to have two faithful parents and so many people praying for you.
ReplyDeleteJenny(Gibson)Fish
I am keeping precious Baby Will and your whole family in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteAmy King (JLA and Make a Wish)
I am praying for you Will and entire Shewmaker Family!
ReplyDeleteLook to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. - 1 Chronicles 16:11
Will, the other night your eight year old cousin Catherine was praying for you, as she frequently does. She said, "God, I know Will's just a little bity baby, and you have this whole big world to watch out for, but...he's important to us. Please watch out for him too." You are important to us! We love you already and pray for God to hold you in His hand right now. We're also praying that your mom and dad continue to feel His presence with them through all of the ups and downs, highs and lows.
ReplyDeleteWe love you,
Your Aunt Jennifer, Uncle Stephen, and cousins Rylan, Catherine, and Alexandra
Mark and Dana, if there is one thing NICU will teach you it is how to wash your hands. Ruth Ann and I spent several months there with our daughters (who are now beautiful 5 year olds). God's grace over you; may your marriage grow stronger through it all; and may the Little Conqueror overcome all these things (Rom 8:37). -Ashley Voss
ReplyDeleteMark - I saw your blog post through Tiffany Touchstone's FB page. I've said a special prayer today for your family and especially for baby Will, and will continue to pray for you all. - Jenevieve Hughes
ReplyDeleteJust want you guys to know that we are praying for Will, as well as for Mommy and Daddy. May he strengthen Will's lungs and other vital organs, and grant him an extra measure of resolve, courage, and stamina. May He give Mommy and Daddy a sense of peace and calm even during such a trying time. May His Love wrap you all in His embrace.
ReplyDeleteMark & Dana - Sarah and I will be praying according to your requests. Thanks for the blog updates. Can't wait to see all three of you.
ReplyDeleteI pray that God provides for all your needs!
ReplyDeleteMark & Dana, we are praying for your sweet baby boy! Having recently spent some time with our Sophie at Dell Children's, my heart aches for you both--it is so difficult to watch your child struggle. We are praying that the Lord will give you wisdom, patience, and encouragement during this time. Of course, we are praying for that precious baby to be all that God has created him to be. A friend shared Joshua 3:4 with me while we were dealing with Sophie's epilepsy onset and it has sustained me each day, "Then you will know which way to go since you have never been this way before." Our Heavenly Father has been this way before and can help guide us through it, too! We love you guys and cannot wait to meet William!
ReplyDeleteTodd, Laura, Callye, Sophie & Tate Self
Mark and Dana,
ReplyDeleteMy heart and prayers are with you. I am praying for you.
Will,
I am praying for you as well. I pray that you will grow stronger every day. I am praying that every cell and every organ in your body will be perfect in Jesus Name.
Carrie Fullerton
Mark and Dana,
ReplyDeleteI'm a friend of Jenn Todoroff's, she forwarded your blog to me. We've been praying for Will. I too have a son named Will, so the name is close to my heart, it has helped me to remember to pray for your Will. We are believing in Jesus name that Will is going to be home with you guys soon. Praying for your strength during this time too!
Brad and I are praying Will gains strength quickly and comes home soon with you. We love you!
ReplyDeleteMark and Dana
ReplyDeleteIts so good for you to keep your faith during this time of trial. Will has a good name for keeping up his. NICUs are no places for families but unfortunately are necessary. I have a very rambunctious and smart nephew thanks to about a month in one. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Blessing to your family and especially to Will.
Janice
Will,
ReplyDeleteLittle Man! Way to show em' all what miracles are all about! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't pray for you and your mommy and daddy! I play "What Faith Can Do" when I work out and pray for you and think of you as I push through my own aches, pains and tiredness and you little man have inspired me. You are far stronger than most people. You are a conquerer. You have a battle story and you are victorious! Your sweet little body is so tiny, but it is packed with endurance and strength that is given to you by God. All who see you will certainly be seeing a masterpiece created by the Creator of the Universe. Already you have at least made the skeptics stop and think. I ache with anticipation of the day I get to hold you myself, smell your sweet skin and kiss your fuzzy little head. Until that day, I will hold you in my prayers. Hug your mom for me...and as soon as you can, tell her that I said she is the best mom in the world!
Todd, Macey Kate and Jake can't wait to meet you as well!
Love you,
Rachel