God's Word and His Armor

The name of this blog, “Will’s Armor,” is a reference to the armor of God described by Paul in his letter to the Ephesians. We know that God is our son’s creator, sustainer, and warrior. It is our desire that as we rely on God’s armor for our son, he too will learn that God’s armor will protect him in this and future battles.


Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

Ephesians 6:10-11 (NASV)


Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (NASV)


I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.

Romans 8:38-39 (The Message).


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Celebrating God's Blessings!

After 3 long weeks of being able to only touch William's hand (and, occasionally, the top of his head) through his tiny isolette doors...well, there was that one diaper change that I got to assist in - you know, the one that he decided to hold his breath for and that brought the emergency team running...we finally had the opportunity last night to snuggle with him! His hands were held close to his heart; his head resting in the palm of my hand. Ahhh...sweet comfort for him...and US!

I left the NICU ecstatic, thinking we had just had our best day yet (read on as it got even better today) and, oddly, the chorus of James Taylor's "How Sweet it is to be Loved by You" popped in my head. Not completely odd after I thought about how loved I felt that moment...loved by sweet William, loved by my amazing husband, loved by you, the friends and family who have prayed countless prayers for us and our son, and, most importanly, loved lavishly and unconditionally by God. How sweet it is! How truly blessed we are.

Earlier this week, I was wrestling with God (not that I thought I could win or anything), questioning His purposes, struggling to understand why He allows suffering (especially when it involves a sweet infant), and wondering how I would reconcile my faith with my current reality. Certainly God can heal William...but will He? Does He want to answer our prayers? (rhetorical question of course) What if the answer is NO? Fortunately, God can handle my questioning, my anger, my disbelief for a time and then He scoops me up as His child and reminds me that He hasn't promised me a perfect life (or as my Dad and I used to jokingly say when I was kid - "who said life was fair?!") - at least not here on earth - but He has promised to love me, to hold me, to never leave me or forsake me. He is GOOD. If our prayers get answered in the way we wish, HE IS GOOD. If they do not, HE is still GOOD. He gives and takes away, blessed be His name. I share this only to offer comfort to those who may struggle with the same questions. I also want to share scripture that has encouraged me the last couple of days.

Philippians 4: 6-9 (stated plainly in The Message):
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when God displaces worry at the center of your life. Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise; not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his excellent harmonies."

So...to continue you on with sharing God's blessings! This morning we met with one of our doctors who we just love and he shared that Will's chromosomal test and the metabolic screening both came back negative. He also showed us an X-ray from yesterday where Will's lungs were completely open, PERFECT (and to see the delight on his face when he showed it, we knew it meant as much to him as us) He is not out of the woods yet...but certainly it news to CELEBRATE! The next step is to wean him from the ventilator (they are estimating a week or so) so please continue to pray for that as well as prayers that he does not get an infection (which is common after having been in the NICU for this amount of time)

Mark and I cherish your friendship and are thankful that we have you to share this journey with. We feel your prayers of comfort and peace!

Dana


JT Lyrics...

How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you

I needed the shelter of someone's arms and there you were
I needed someone to understand my ups and downs and there you were
With sweet love and devotion
Deeply touching my emotion
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

I close my eyes at night
Wondering where would I be without you in my life
Everything I did was just a bore
Everywhere I went it seems I'd been there before
But you brighten up for me all of my days
With a love so sweet in so many ways
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you

7 comments:

  1. Dana that is wonderful news! My eyes are filled with tears of joy. I know Will has a way to go, but oh what an encouraging day! And your post about God's goodness is encouraging for me.

    Oh and you got to hold him. That has got to be the closest experience to heaven on earth. And the song that popped into your head is neat because I have one of the sweetest memories singing that same song to Ethan in the grocery store when he was a tiny thing. It was playing over the loudspeaker and we were in the dairy section. I didn't think anybody was around but after the song ended I saw some man had been watching me. I didn't care. Baby love is bliss! Remember it like yesterday....
    Here's to many more days of baby bliss. I'll keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. I am so happy and excited at the wonderful news. It put sunshine in a dark dreey day in Houston, TX. God is so good. Why is it so easy to forget. I prayed tonight with a group at church and thanked God for these victories. William you look so cute dressed up for New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous news! Hang in there!

    - The Connollys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news! Thank you for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise the Living God! I am thrilled that Will has decided to give you guys some good news! Levi and I have been praying for Will often, knowing that the Lord hears our prayers. We have waited eagerly for His response and I count myself blessed to be able to learn of Will's improvement. Thank you for sharing, and we will continue to pray for Will's full and complete recovery. Love, Levi and Rachel

    p.s., The Psalm I've been praying while waiting for God to answer is Psalm 5. "In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch...For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord; You surround him with favor as with a shield."

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are still rejoicing about the good results. God is so faithful and I know he will continue to be there with Will and give him the breath of life.
    I am very grateful to DeeDee for the Romans scripture. I wrote it on a post it note and read it just about every 30 minutes in order to take every thought captive. Can't wait to hold you sweet Will. Grampy and Grandmommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words here brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing the raw emotion of your feelings. So thankful William is doing so much better as we continue to lift you up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete